In response to school closures across the UK, the National Literacy Trust has launched a free comprehensive online zone for parents seeking ideas and guidance for activities that will engage their children at home, whilst also benefiting their reading, writing and language development.
Family Zone www.literacyfamilyzone.org.uk is a one-stop shop for families. Drawing on the charity’s expertise and incredible partnerships with teachers, authors, publishers, educational organisations and corporates, Family Zone will bring together some of the UK’s most exciting literacy resources and activities in one place.
Families can access engaging reading and writing activities, book lists, videos, audiobooks, competitions and reading challenges, curated for early years to early teens. New activities and resources will be added regularly, as the charity develops innovate partnerships and features over the coming weeks and months.
Resources and activities for families to enjoy together at home include:
• Simple and fun Small Talk videos to help parents chat, play and read with their young child
• Top tips for enjoying audiobooks as a family
• A guide to building a reading den at home
• A Reading Miles Global Challenge to encourage children to read around the world
• Activity sheets based on popular children’s books, including Where’s Wally?, as well as playful learning activities featuring much-loved CBeebies characters
• Exciting author videos, including live stories with author Steve Antony, draw-along sessions with illustrator Rob Biddulph and poetry workshops with Sarah Crossan
The National Literacy Trust is a dedicated to improving the reading, writing, speaking and listening skills of those who need it most, giving them the best possible chance of success in school, work and life.