November 22, 2019
The Scottish National Party (SNP) will push for new action to end consumer rip-offs – including a clampdown on ticket touts and an end to sky-high rural delivery fees.
The pledges form part of a package of action to protect consumers to be unveiled by SNP today.
SNP MPs will:
• support a freeze in further Insurance Premium Tax hikes to ensure consumers aren’t penalised for taking steps to reduce risks,
• press for stronger legal protection against ticket touting and push for a ban on software used by ticket touts,
• push to stop consumers being short-changed through lost gift-card money,
• press for a streamlined complaints and redress process for those miss-sold under the Coalition Government Green Deal,
• call on the UK government to regulate to ensure fair delivery charges for rural communities
Commenting, SNP Consumer Affairs spokesperson said:
“The EU has been at the forefront of protecting consumers – which is just one of the reasons we should escape Brexit and put Scotland’s future in Scotland’s hands.
“But whatever happens with Brexit, there’s a huge amount we can do to stop consumers being ripped off
“SNP MPs will push for real action to tackle ticket touts, to end rip-off rural delivery fees and to push for fairness across our economy.
“The failure of the UK government to act already shows exactly why these decisions should be made in Scotland, not Westminster.”
North Ayrshire Council
Citizens Advice Scotland